Morbid Obesity and Ultra Obesity: The Growing Challenge of Anesthesia
Sunday October 13, 2013 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Ashish C. Sinha, MD, PhD
Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Jay B. Brodsky, MD
Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Airway Challenges and Approaches
Anupama Wadhwa, MBBS
University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Strategies for Avoiding Opioids in Obese Patients
Patrick J. Neligan, MB, BCh
Galway University Hospital, Galway, Ireland
- Review the demographics and epidemiology of obesity;
- Identify the challenges of intubation and ventilation of the very large patient;
- Describe the altered pharmacology: how to dose these patients;
- Discuss sleep apnea: a concurrent challenge;
- Discuss the Post-op management in the setting of morbid and ultra obesity.
And stay tuned for information on the upcoming 2nd annual ISPCOP Scientific Symposium, Monday October 14th.
Inaugural ISPCOP Research Award
Congratulations to Dr. Lawrence Frank of Cleveland Clinic Florida. His 2013 ASA abstract, "Quantitative Assessment of Neuromuscular Block in the Morbidly Obese" was chosen to receive our first society research award on the basis of originality, relevance to the obese population, and study design. Click here to download the poster.